The family that
prays together, stays together. Or so the saying goes. I believe that the
family that faces good and bad times together without killing each other is the
one that stays together. My extended family has gone through some pretty
dramatic ups and downs in recent times. Since the last time I wrote on this
blog, I have lost my mother, my brother has had a son, and my boys have gone
through a rough patch health-wise (more on that later), among other things. I’m
going to write about the second thing today. My nephew.
My nephew has
been on this earth for close to two months now and he already has multiple
names. That is typical of us Bengalis. We have at least two names each- a
‘bhalo’ or ‘good’ name (which is why you find many Bengalis asking people for
their ‘good’ name, as if there is a ‘bad’ name as well!!!) and a ‘daak’ or
‘pet’ name. Sometimes, it’s difficult to say why a pet name is a ‘pet’ name
because it is good enough to be a ‘good’ name (pardon the pun).
Such is the case
of the newest member of the family. His ‘good’ name is Writobroto. I am certain
that he will curse his parents for that at some future point in his life,
especially when he starts going to school and finds that no one can pronounce
or spell his name, or when people ask him the meaning of his name ad nauseam,
or when interviewers typically begin by questioning him about his name. If he
is smart (I am optimistic, given who his blood-related paternal aunt is ;-D),
he will get people to call him by his ‘pet’ name Ayushman. Now how I am going
to bless him with long life is another question (the traditional blessing is
‘Ayushman bhava’, which means ‘be long-lived’, and if he is already ‘Ayushman’,
how can I tell/bless him to be ‘Ayushman’- kind of a conundrum, eh?)
But that is in the
future. For now, he is oblivious of all the name-calling (!!!) and goes by the
name of Ayush. Why he couldn’t have been named that to begin with I cannot say
and it is not my place to say. I, on my part, am probably going to call him
something else altogether. I haven’t yet decided. I am trying to choose between
Hector, Cuchulain, Beowulf, Ulysses, Ramses and Thor. Not joking! Perhaps I
should do a poll. His parents, of course, will probably let me nowhere near him
after reading this. Oh well!
He is a funny
looking little fellow with his father’s eyes and eyebrows and his mother’s
mouth and chin (look at the picture). I can’t imagine what he will look like as
an adult! He is like other babies at this stage- not very interesting to anyone
except his parents and grandparents. I know that this is sacrilege, but for me
that is the truth. He’ll probably turn into someone I would enjoy spending time
with some time in his life. But that time is not now. Not for me. Call me
strange but I DO NOT GO ALL KOOCHIE-KOO AROUND BABIES. Ayush isn’t a bad baby,
actually. He is rather cute, to be honest. The nicest thing about him is that
he is a cheerful baby. That I really like about him.
Maybe he will
turn out to be a cheerful, even-tempered, level-headed person like his grandmother
(my mother) was. That would be nice. Such a person is a great asset in a family
of hotheads. I think that is one of the million reasons that my mother is
missed. I don’t expect little Ayush to step in and fill that role (poor fellow,
he probably has people already expecting sooooooooo much from him); it would be
unfair. But I’d like to think that if he turns out like that, he’d like to hear
some day that he’s got that in common with the grandmother whom he never met.

No comments:
Post a Comment